Pay and display parking available in surrounding streets. Car parks nearby also.
Widely known as Eyre Square, the park's official name is John F. Kennedy Memorial Park.
The origin of the square comes from medieval open space in front of town gate, known as The Green. Markets mostly took place in the northern part of the space. The plot of land that became Eyre Square was officially presented to the city in 1710 by Mayor Edward Eyre, from whom it took its name. In 1965, the square was officially renamed 'John F. Kennedy Memorial Park' in honour of US President John F. Kennedy, who visited Galway city and made a speech in the square on 29 June, 1963.
Today the park acts serves as a central point for many of Galway International Arts Festival's street spectacle. As of 2018, it is also the location of the popular Festival Garden.